Saturday, August 1, 2009

Embutido - Filipino style meatloaf

I love making Filipino food! It's like soul food to me. I modified this recipe so it did not have any pork in it. It's usually made with ground pork but I used ground beef instead. Also, Vienna sausage is used in this dish as well but I didn't use it for my version.

Embutido
* Make sure all the ingredients are diced and cut into very small pieces.
* Boil 2-3 eggs for hard boiled eggs. Slice when done and set aside to use later.

1. Mix the following: ground beef, 3 eggs, diced cilantro, diced carrots, diced bell pepper, diced onions, minced garlic, oyster sauce, sea salt, black pepper, basil, cumin, pepper spices, garlic salt, coriander spice, sweet relish, and raisins.
2. Squeeze 1 lime
3. Hand mix everything well
4. On a sheet of aluminum paper, put some of the ground meat mix in the middle and flatten to look like a rectangle.
5. Add hard boiled egg slices in the middle. This is when Vienna sausage is usually added as well, but I didn't add any to this.
6. Use ends of aluminum foil to roll the meat over the egg
7. End result is a tube like shape.
8. Seal inside the aluminum foil and twist ends to close. (looks like a tootsie roll)

This next step you can do either one. I did both because I didn't have a real steamer. I improvised and made a steamer of my own using a metal colander.

9. Place in steamer or bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour
10. After it is cooked, you can slice it into pieces and serve with either sweet chili sauce or Jufran banana ketchup.





I had 2 rolls of embutido leftover, so for lunch on Sunday, I cut up the pieces and pan fried it a little. Mixed with cucumber yogurt and it was gooooood!


No comments:

Post a Comment