Saturday, August 1, 2009

Cream of Chicken & Cayote Pita Pocket - An experiment

Friday
I love to experiment with food. I often take recipes I already know and modify it here and there. I don't know how I came up with this one but I just did. Haha! It came out pretty ok. Not anything to rave about but still tasted good. This actually came about because I was thinking about cooking cream of mushroom chicken. But I didn't have any fresh mushrooms. However, I did have cayote (Asian green vegetable) and I didn't think using cream of mushroom would work so I opted for cream of chicken.

Cream of Chicken & Cayote Pita Pocket
1. Heat olive oil (I use olive oil for cooking all the time) and sautee diced onions and garlic
2. Add chicken breast sliced into small square pieces. Add seasoning: black pepper & garlic salt. Cook chicken.
3. Add cayote sliced in small squares/cubes. Cook cayote. (Don't overcook it or else it will become too soft)
4. Add one can of cream of mushroom and mix until it starts bubbling.

This next option you don't have to do, but I did just for experimentation purposes.
5. Mix in white rice with the cream of chicken and cayote.
6. Cut pita bread in half to make 2 pita pockets.
7. Stuff pita pockets with cream of chicken and rice.

It came out ok. Next time, I don't think I'll add the pita bread portion. It took away from the taste of the dish. It was better with rice only.






No comments:

Post a Comment